Will it ever feel like Spring again? This cold weather has me still eating all the winter root vegetables.
However, it is technically spring, which means there are some fresh new foods growing and ready to start eating! Some of these vegetables are less common and harder to find in the grocery store, but you will likely find local farmers growing them. It’s time to begin spring cleaning, starting with cleaning up your diet!
What’s in season in Massachusetts at this time of year? Here’s a short list:
- Dandelion greens
- Fava beans
I have no idea how to use morels or nettles, so if you have any ideas, let me know! I’m going to focus today’s blog on a spring recipe that involves the nutrient-dense veggie: fava beans!
- 2 lb. fresh fava beans in their pods
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp. Agrumato lemon oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 Tbsp. juice
- Shuck the fava beans from their pods and then peel off and discard their shells. You should have about 2 cups cleaned fava beans.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the fava beans until bright green, 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water and let sit until chilled, 1 minute. Drain and roughly chop the fava beans.
- In a mortar, pound the almonds, anchovies, and garlic until evenly combined, then add 2 tablespoons of the lemon oil to loosen the mixture.
- Add the reserved fava beans and mash into a coarse purée. Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons lemon oil, the parmesan, mint, and lemon zest and juice.
- Season with salt and serve.
If you’re serving this at your spring gathering, let me know! This pesto looks too good to pass up!
Blog post written by Trainer, Sarah Oliver
VIM is now offering nutrition services with Trainer & Nutrition Coach, Christine Galvin!
Click below to find out how you can benefit from 1 on 1 Nutrition Coaching!
[button link=”https://vimfitness.com/nutrition/” text=”LEARN MORE” color=”green” size=”large” fullwidth=”true”]
Take the END OF SPRING PILATES CHALLENGE!
NEW DATES: 5/14-6/18
This is your opportunity to get your beach body in full effect!
Take 2 semiprivate reformer classes every week for the next 5 weeks (a total of 10 classes within these dates) & receive 15% off your next package of Pilates semiprivate sessions!
- Best Adult Fitness Classes to TakeApril 28, 2021 - 7:36 PM
Are you looking to get more out of your gym time? Or do you want guidance when knowing what exercises to do? Going to a gym can be intimidating even for the most workout-savvy people. But, it doesn’t have to be. Instead of waiting in line for machines or wondering which moves you should do next, take a […]
- Get MOVING in May!April 30, 2021 - 1:02 PM
350 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
579 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139